When your computer network, PC or laptop is compromised you know you are in for a world of pain. Not only do you face significant down time, there are additional problems:
- Identity theft – have stored passwords been harvested and shared via dark nets like 4chan?
- Credit card fraud – have your credit card details been sold in a bulk lot online?
- Business data – have you exposed your company or employer to reputational and other damage?
- Digital reputation – has the breach caused Google to take your site or platform down?
The problem is the scale of the challenge. In 2014 there were:
- Over 42 million cyber attacks worldwide
- Representing a 50% increase year-on-year
The thing is, 100% – that is, all – cyber attacks used valid credentials. Which means you need to be thinking proactively about your cyber security. It’s too late once the attack has started.
This infographic from Sumologic sets out facts and figures that will make your eyes water. But what is clear is that cyber security is no longer just the responsibility of the CIO. It’s now an important part of your brand.