Social Media Week, Sydney is just around the corner. It is the first time that the event has been run in Australia but the organising team, Simon Micarone, David Wesson and Will Ockenden have high hopes for it becoming a regular feature on the Australian conference landscape.
Running all week, from 22 September through to 26 September, there are a great range of sessions, keynotes and master classes to participate in. But if you are like me, you may need to ration yourself in an effort to learn but also continue delivering for clients. With this in mind, I have selected some of the must-see sessions and master classes that will impact not just the way that you think, but the way you carry on the business of social media.
Monday, 22 September:
- Opening keynote (Gavin Heaton). Yes, it’s me, kickstarting the week’s activities and reminding us all just how far we’ve come and how much further there is to go.
- The Australian Landscape (AIMIA). Get the lay of the land with a fab panel that outlines opportunities for growth and innovation.
- Online Community Management (Alison Michalk). Get serious about community management with one of the best in the country.
Tuesday, 23 September:
- Keynote – Earned Traffic and Authority (Jeff Bullas). No doubt you’ve read his blog, now here’s the chance to see him in the flesh. Sit up the front with me and be inspired.
- Social ROI (Joanne Jacobs). Always a hot topic, there’ll be plenty to take back to the office straight from the brain of Joanne Jacobs.
- Keynote – the Connected Brand (Trevor Young). The charming and ultra-smart PR Warrior will cut through the noise.
- Social data = Big Data + Profits + Purpose (Panel). I’m hosting this panel that discusses the power of social, data and profits are unleashed when you add a sense of purpose. Not to be missed
- Influencers and Online Advocacy (Panel). I’m really looking forward to this. Influence is a hot topic and these folks know what they are on about.
Wednesday, 24 September:
- Keynote – What Do Aussies Care About (Simon Crerar). Buzzfeed are so hot right now. Hear from Simon on just what tickles our fancy and why.
- Creating a Movement for Social Good (Panel). What a rockstar line up. This is not just about social good – it’s about moving people to act. And that’s what we all need help with.
- Future of Publishing (panel). Another awesome panel bringing together some of the movers and shakers in the social publishing space. Monolithic media is dead baby.
Thursday, 25 September:
- The Power of Twitter for Small Business (Suzy Nicoletti). Get the lowdown from the folks who should know. Great master class from Twitter’s head of mid-market sales.
- Has Social Changed TV Forever (Panel). One of my personal favourite topics. How do we reimagine engagement when there’s way more than one screen on at a time?
- Consumer Wearables, Where to Next? (Panel). This is the next contestable ground for consumer engagement. We’re only just scratching the surface at the moment.
Friday, 26 September:
- Keynote – Under the Digital Bridge (Venessa Paech). This will be awesome – especially for those of us who deal with trolls, ranters, ravers and other monsters in our audiences.
- Living in the Culture of Participation (Panel). Want to know what it takes to make effective change? This panel will blow your mind. You have been warned.
- Stay for the day. Ok – you may as well block out the whole day. There are some awesome sessions that you’ll want to immerse yourself in. And anyway, it’s Friday.